TravelCayman to open on-line portal for travel functions
TravelCayman, which acquired TravelTime earlier this month to handle incoming travel applications, will be launching an online portal to handle the growing number of inquiries from people returning or planning to come to Cayman.
A government information service press release said the portal is currently under development, “reducing the need to phone and email the TravelCayman team”.
Numerous people who have attempted to contact TravelCayman over the phone have complained to the Cayman Compass that they were queued and put on hold – some for more than an hour and a half – before getting to the top of the line and receiving A message states that there are technical problems and the call cannot be processed.
The press release did not provide a timetable for the operation of the new online system, but it was introduced “in the coming days”.
The portal will “allow travelers to select quarantine arrangements and submit travel plans online without the need for manual responses to each request,” the press release said.
The latest travel arrangements allow travelers to book repatriation flights direct with Cayman Airways and British Airways – the only two airlines currently approved for flights to Cayman.
The press release stated that prior authorization from TravelCayman is required prior to entry to the Cayman Islands. Kingston, Jamaica; or Miami, Florida ”.
The “key role” of the TravelCayman management team is to ensure that quarantine options related to inbound travel and the availability of government, private and dormitory quarantine options are managed, the press release said. The team also determines the provision of surveillance technology for travelers who need it for the mandatory quarantine log.
The press release indicated that incoming travel requests would be prioritized on a weekly basis based on the number of travelers for the coming week and the flight clearances.
According to the press release, TravelCayman is asking the public not to call or email unless they travel to the Cayman Islands in October. Travelers to the Cayman Islands in October do not need to apply again, it said.
The press release also noted that some airlines are operating and accepting flights to the Cayman Islands, but reiterated that only Cayman Airways and British Airways are allowed to offer return flights.
Cayman has an inbound quota of 800 passengers per month.
Premier Alden McLaughlin said earlier this month that the limit of 800 for the month of October had been reached and no new applications would be accepted. Those who unsuccessfully applied for a trip in October would have priority among the November numbers, he said.
Inbound trips in November
Thursday’s press release stated that travelers can book flights for November direct with Cayman Airways, while British Airways travelers can book direct with BA for the approved return flights scheduled for November 12-26.
Travelers can apply for quarantine agreements through the TravelCayman portal.
“Travelers who have already requested to arrive in November are asked to reapply to select quarantine options. The public was asked to wait until the new portal was launched before applying for quarantine agreements, ”the press release said.
Incoming travelers are subject to a 14-day quarantine period and will be tested for COVID-19 on the 15th day. The results are usually delivered the following day. They must remain isolated until their results are returned.
There are currently three quarantine options:
- Quarantine at a government-run facility: This option is available to Caymanians and permanent residents.
- Quarantine in a privately run hotel: If you want to quarantine in one of these facilities, you should contact the hotel directly. After booking, travelers should provide Travel Cayman with their reservation number in order to complete processing of the application to travel to the Cayman Islands.
- Quarantine at home: The private household can be the traveller’s house or the private household. This cannot be a shared apartment. Travelers who agree to the Quarantine-at-Residence program must agree to wear an iMSafe smart bracelet and undergo a COVID-19 test upon arrival at Owen Roberts International Airport and again on day 15 Health officials and mobile compliance team off-boarding are required for the quarantine period to end. The off-boarding process includes the inspection and collection of the smart bracelet, as well as retrieving the mobile device.
Incoming trip in December
Decisions regarding December inbound travel remain fluid as the government works with the two airlines to “finalize the demand and quarantine arrangements required for this month,” the press release said.
The government continues to warn residents that travel should only be limited to essential or medical needs, “she said, adding that border decisions will continue to be evaluated and processes are subject to change.
To contact TravelCayman, send an email [email protected] or call +1 (345) 743-8463 or 649-6913. The telephone lines are open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Quarantine for residence criteria
TravelCayman noted that the choice of quarantine location will be granted if the accommodation meets the following standards:
- Access to running water and electricity.
- Access to bathroom facilities that are in good condition and not shared with anyone outside the quarantine group, as well as shower / bathtub, toilet and sink, and hot and cold water supplies.
- Access to kitchen facilities not shared with anyone outside the quarantine group, with access to hot and cold water.
- Adequate ventilation with one or more windows that can be opened to allow fresh air to circulate.
- If there is air conditioning, there is a self-contained ventilation system that ensures that the units do not allow air to circulate to other residential buildings.
- Access to roadside garbage collection or a central garbage can.
- Access for the delivery of food and medicines.
- Access by the Mobile Compliance Team to conduct spot checks during the quarantine period.
Most property inspections are carried out by the Mobile Compliance Team on behalf of the Medical Officer of Health. In most cases, valuations can be made without entering the property. If access is required, the property owners will be contacted for immigration.
Individuals who are neither Caimans nor permanent residents and who do not have a private residence for quarantine or whose private residence is not approved must book a private quarantine facility.
Eligibility to participate
Flights to the Cayman Islands are return flights only and are currently not available to short term vacationers as anyone entering the islands must complete the mandatory 14-day quarantine period with another COVID-19 PCR test on the 15th day.
Incoming trips are limited to:
- Permanent residents,
- Work permit holders and their families
- Individuals who own residential property in the Cayman Islands,
- Students with a valid visa to study in the Cayman Islands,
- Individuals with close family ties to residents or work permit holders – spouses, fiancés, parents, grandparents, and siblings.
Support local journalism. Subscribe to the All-Access Pass for the Cayman Compass.